- Career Level Others
- Experience 1-2 Years
- Industry Restaurant/ Food Service/Hotel
- Qualifications Post-Secondary
Cooks prepare and cook a wide variety of foods. They are employed in restaurants, hotels, hospitals and other health care institutions, central food commissaries, educational institutions and other establishments. They are also employed aboard ships and at construction and logging campsites.
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Plan and cook total dinners or individual dishes and food varieties
- Plan and cook unique suppers for patients as taught by a dietitian or culinary expert
- Timetable and oversee kitchen assistants
- Supervise kitchen activities
- Keep up with stock and records of food, supplies and hardware
- May set up and supervise buffets
- May clean kitchen and workspace
- May design menus, decide the size of food segments, gauge food prerequisites and expenses, and screen and request supplies
- May recruit and prepare kitchen staff.
- Cooks might represent considerable authority in planning and cooking ethnic food or uncommon dishes.
This is what you typically need for the job.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three-year apprenticeship program for cooks or Completion of college or other program in cooking or Several years of commercial cooking experience are required.
- Trade certification is available, but voluntary, in all provinces and territories.
- Red Seal endorsement is also available to qualified cooks upon successful completion of the interprovincial Red Seal examination.