- Career Level Others
- Experience 1-2 Years
- Industry Farming
- Qualifications Post-Secondary
General farm workers plant, cultivate and harvest crops, raise livestock and poultry and maintain and repair farm equipment and buildings. This unit group includes operators of farm machinery. They are employed on the crop, livestock, fruit, vegetable and specialty farms.
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Crops are planted, fertilized, cultivated, sprayed, irrigated, and harvested.
- Animals and poultry must be fed and cared for.
- Cows that produce milk
- Farm animal breeding operations should be performed or assisted with.
- Farm machinery and equipment are operated and maintained.
- Follow food safety and security standards, as well as animal biosecurity protocols.
- Inspect crops, cattle, and poultry for illness and other health issues.
- Examine the quality of the product and get it ready for the market.
- In barns, pens, and poultry coops, install and monitor water lines, airflow, and temperature.
- Clean stables, barns, barnyards, and pens, as well as assist with the maintenance of facilities and agricultural infrastructure.
- General agricultural labourers can specialize in a specific sort of crèche.
This is what you typically need for the job.
- There are no specific education or training requirements. However, a college certificate or specialized courses related to farming, such as farm equipment mechanics, agricultural welding, tree pruning and pesticide application, are available.
- Basic farm knowledge, usually obtained from working on a family farm, may be required for employment.
- A course or certificate in first aid may be required.